The Famous Johns Lane Distillery
The Powers Johns Lane Distillery was renowned for its Pot Still Irish whiskeys, bursting with flavour and character and made famous by one of Ireland’s most popular brands, Powers Gold Label. When the renowned brewing and distilling historian Alfred Barnard, visited John’s Lane in 1886, he described the whiskey as "delicious and finer than anything we had hitherto tasted. It was as perfect in flavour, and as pronounced in the ancient aroma of Irish whiskey so dear to the hearts of connoisseurs, as one could possibly desire".
Following the merger of three family businesses - Powers, Jameson and Cork Distilleries Company (producers of Paddy whiskey) - John’s Lane distillery closed and whiskey production moved to a new purpose built distillery in Midleton, County Cork in 1975.
Here, the new stills and maturation processes were carefully designed and built to replicate the particular characteristics of the three founding families.